Trying to build your own brand can be really difficult as it is hard to stand back and work on it objectively.
There may also be many competing brands in the same category chasing the same dollar.
The big question is “how do you stand out and compete effectively in a cluttered environment”?
Successful brands are created and continually managed using a comprehensive and robust plan.
So how do you go about creating such a plan?
There are some key guidelines to follow:
- Identify your target audience to the extent that you could describe them as if you knew them personally.
- Identify your unique point of difference.
- What would make a potential customer change from their existing preferred brand to yours and what would keep them choosing your brand?
- Define your brand personality.
- This is what you want your customers and potential customers to think when they see or hear your brand.
- Know your competitors intimately.
- Study their branding, brand personality, customers, customer service, product range/services and promotional activity. If you are going to compete with them you need to know their strengths and weaknesses.
- Protect your brand and own it.
- Ensure you have a standout logo and strap line and make sure this is presented the same in and on everything. Make sure you and only you control the brand presentation.
- Ensure everyone in your company understands the brand guidelines and presents as a unified team.
- Continually monitor the success of your brand strategies and be prepared to modify and evolve these strategies as market forces change.
- Integrate your brand strategies and objectives into your marketing plan so that anyone can pick it up should circumstances change personnel. They will them know what to follow and the rationale behind the brand.
- Don’t try and do it all yourself. You will need the help of people who have been and done this before. That’s where we can help.